Hi there and welcome to my blog. "Behold the turtle. He makes progress only when he sticks his neck out." ~James Conant
Monday, February 25, 2008
Been a Long Time
It's been so long since I've posted here and for a while I thought I was going to give up this blog. I also have another one I post to. However, lately I've been bothered by my weight. Not like that is anything new by any means. But, my knees have REALLY (can I say it or emphasize that any more) been bothering me. Some times, it's to the point of tears. Many mornings I awake and just want to roll over and go back to sleep. Going to work is the last thing I wanna do. My knees aching have slowed me way down. It's really taking its toll. It's starting to bring the rest of me down. Depression has arrived. I'm going to see the doctor Monday afternoon. I just may discuss the Gastric Bypass Surgery. Granted, surgery scares me, but on the same token so does the thought of not being able to walk anymore or do other things because my weight is limiting my existence. I really have tried to lose weight and have been successful short term, but then something happens in the family and I fall...and it spirals into failure...and the depression kicks in again. It's almost like a very vicious circle. I've got to do something about it. If there is anyone that reads this blog, do you have any thoughts on the surgery? I'm interested in your opinions.
Labels:
depression,
gastric bypass surgery,
weight
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
13 comments:
Hi, Dottie! I just read the comment that you posted on my blog, and I wanted to stop by and say "hi!" It's nice to "meet" you!
I posted your comment on my blog, and I also left a comment after your comment on my one post.
My hubby is due home any minute, so I do not have time right now to read your entire blog or comment more, but I will be back ASAP! (hopefully tonight!)
:)
I have an opinion on surgery. Don't do it. The reason I am against this is because you could die from it. There are also the complications that may arise. You will never be able to eat normally after it's done either. And when all is said or done, you'll still have to learn how to eat correctly and to face the emotional issues that have caused you to be over weight. It's also expensive.
I know losing weight is hard. I've lost over 100 pounds but that was a long time ago. Now I just deal with 30 pounds back and forth. But the issues are the same. I still fight it every day.
I haven't read the rest of your blog so I don't know what your issues are but trust me, you can come out of this hole. It will take time but you can start that journey right this very minute! It's a marathon, not a sprint. There are times you will fall back into old behaviors and lose confidence. But you cannot give up. You must regain your health. Being skinny isn't important. Being healthy is critical. You can do it. Make your plan and work your plan.
Something that made a big difference to me was a book I read about "thinking thin". At first I thought it was a gimick but then I began to understand that people who don't have weight issues DO think about food and hunger differently than I do. The author is well qualified and it's an easy read. There's a task each day and it takes about 10 minutes to read each daily section. It gives a lot of tools that are helpful, such as writing out all the reasons you want to lose weight (I had to really bug Chubby Chick to do this and when she finally did - WOW! Amazing! But see how much it will help to keep her focused and on track? The book has many great ideas like this too so I highly recommend it (The Beck Diet Solution by Judith Beck, PhD).
Anyway, don't give up. Today is the first day of the rest of your life!
I have to disagree with Carol. The odds of you dying from WLS are extremely low. I eat normally, just a lot less than I used to. Yes there are complictions that can arise but that is with any type of surgery also. Dont forget the complications you have or will have from Morbid Obesity.
She is right that you still have to learn to eat healthy and deal with any emotional issues you may have but then again you will also have a tool to support you though this journey. And I also agree it is not cheap. Unless of course your insurance will cover it then you should be fine cost wise.
But anyways I am not here to talk to you about WLS lol I did wanted to stop by and say hello! I found your link on Chubby Chicks blog. I wish you the very best with your journey. I know exactly how you feel. I got to the point where my knees and feet gave up on me and I knew it was time to do something. I had WLS in October of 2006 and have lost 247lbs. Having WLS was the BEST decision I had ever made in my whole life.
Holler anytime if there are any questions I can help you with about WLS or if you just want to chat!!
Good luck to you! YOU ARE WORTH doing SOMETHING for YOU no matter what path you take.
*Huggles*
=0)
Hiya Dottie. Saw the link here from CC's blog. Ain't she wonderful?
Anyway, wanted to say that if you want surgical intervention, consider lap band. I don't have it, but a friend of mine did it, and her results have been excellent so far.
The latest studies show that while gastric bypass works better in the short run, Lap Band works JUST AS WELL further down the road and has fewer complicatiosn (including the malapsorption ones). The adjustments are outpatient (doctor's office) and the recovery easier.
Do a lot of research before losing bits of your intestines. Really. Why when a removable treatment (if complications arise) is available?
I wish you the best, whichever course you take. Know that online, lots of folks are around to help and support.
The Princess
Oh, and if you want a pretty intense blog experience of one woman who had WLS, google Melting Mama. She's got a lot of attitude, but she's very, very honest with the ups and downs.
Oh, and insurance covering the weight loss is only part. Factor in the cost of complicatiosn (which are NOT uncommon, as more than half of the folks I know who had WLS experience hospitalization-requiring complications) and the necessary cosmetic procedures due to the rapid weight loss of large amounts of weight.
(You stll get saggy flesh from slow weight loss, but not as dramatically as losing 200 pounds in a relatively short amount of time.)
Almost all WLS patients regain up to half or more of their weight. (One of my acquaintances regained almost ALL.) So, yes, eitehr way, you will do the hard work of behavior modification and self-control. You will also have radical hair loss (many ladies do) from the rapid weight loss/radically cut caloric intake.
I'd say go with diet, exercise, and counseling (behavioral modification, cognitive therapy, depression therapy) and think about what you want medically-wise as you make changes now.
It's gonna be tough, no matter what. :( But it's NOT impossible. Just really, insanely tough.
Hi there dottie, reading your blog is like reading my own, I never quite hit 400 but I am not too far off, My highest pregnant was 355, and it is an awful scary humilating thing to go thru with having kids.
You have to do what you feel you want to do to make you happy. Everyone that I have talked about it with told me to get surgery. I am not so excited about that. I think that it is great and all, but I am not sure surgery is for me. I think my problems are mental and I have to deal with those issues on my own, if I have surgery, how can I fix everything.
I wish you all the luck in the world. I am here for you in any way that you need. I am very new to blogging, but I have never been this honest with myself as I am now.
Good luck.
One thing that the surgery has going for it is that it seems to be almost guaranteed to work. If your quality of life is not good then maybe it is something to consider?
In the end the decision is yours but I would urge you to do your research and make an informed choice.
If I could have afforded it when I started to try and lose weight I may have considered it myself.
Hi there Dottie, I'm Diana from Scale Junkie and I found you through my friend Chubby Chick! Like you, I have a lot of weight to lose, my highest weight was 425 and I'm currently at 366...well, I don't know what my weight is because tomorrow I weigh in for the first time in 6 weeks.
I honestly thought about the surgery but then decided it wasn't for me. I posted a while back on my blog that I was turned down for private health insurance because of my weight. They told me I'd need to drop to under 220 for my height to be considered and I must be at that weight for at least a year and I can't have lost weight through pills or surgery and that if I had weight loss surgery they would NEVER insure me. I was told this by several large health insurance companies. You may have insurance through your work now but you should check to see if having WLS will disqualify you should your insurance situation change through job changes at a later date.
Honestly, like Felicia said, if you have surgery or if you don't, the most important part of this is wrapping your head around the mental aspects of this whole journey. It took me a long time to even look at the mental aspects and now that I am, I'm learning more about myself and why I overeat. I'm on this journey for life. I'm not going to crash diet and regain, this is a lifestyle change for me and I hope you would consider a safe and healthy weight loss plan that works for you and your family. I see you have two daughters, you can set a fabulous example for healthy eating for them that will last a lifetime so they never have to go through this. Oh an dby the way, I do babble A LOT! Sorry, welcome to the world of blogging! There are so many of us out there in your shoes, come walk this journey in blog land with us!
All the best,
Diana "Scale Junkie"
OK... hubby is fed. I'm back. hehe
And in regard to the WLS, there are definite pros and cons. I don't have a problem with people who go through with it. But, it is not an option that I personally am willing to take.
In my opinion, it is just way too risky. I don't want to cut away and rearrange my body parts just because I do not make the effort to put my fork down. My problem with weight is ME... my attitude, my thoughts, my emotions... it is NOT my stomach or intestines. So why should I punish them for what I am doing myself? Know what I mean?
I've seen way too many people who have had complications from the surgery. I've even heard of the lap bands becoming imbedded in peoples' stomachs. I've seen people who have lots of loose skin and cannot afford to have surgery to remove it. It's not fun.
And... I do not think that I would be able to deal with the eating/lifestyle change that accompanies weight loss surgery. I do not think I would have the discipline to eat tiny, tiny meals consisting mainly of protein. So hats off to anyone that CAN do that. I do not believe that WLS is the easy way out. I believe it is the hard way out.
Losing weight is not easy. It is downright hard. But it is possible! We just have to want it enough. We have to be willing to do what it takes to do it. That may include dealing with emotions, getting more exercise, cutting out junk food, drinking more water, etc. I think we all know WHAT to do. We just need to DO it.
That being said, we all have to find what works for us. We are all different. Our bodies are different. Our lifestyles are different. What works for one may not be the exact plan that works for another.
So... good luck with whatever decision you come to. Only you know what is the best course for you to take. No matter what... we will all be here to support you and encourage you! :)
OMIGOSH, that's awful.. I had no idea that insurance could shut you out cause you weighed X pounds.
Well, there's another argument FOR universal health care. How dare insurance companies just discriminate like that. Wow.
How many of us girls that were at one point over 400 pounds have NOT considered weight loss surgery. I have to agree with CC (who btw is who introduced me to your blog) no matter what you do you need to wrap your mind around the change of lifestyle. Wether getting assistance through WLS, Jenny Craig (which is what I am doing right now), or Weight Watchers, you need to be ready to change your lifestyle.
It's not easy (as you know), but we will all be here to help ya out with some kind words and support! We are all in this together. I'm glad you are back to the blog world. Now let's kick some butt!
Hi Dottie
I just came across your blog and am reading some of the archive. I only just began my weight loss journey two weeks ago. My starting weight was 320 lbs, so a little less than you but still massively morbily obese.
Like you I have also *thought* about weight loss surgeyr but have not actually gone down that road yet. I don't have private health cover (in the UK we are supposed to have free healthcare, but some things are more free than others) and when I have tried a few times to get my doctor to refer me, I have been turned down.
Whilst I am slightly annoyed that I am having to do it the "hard" way it might actually end up being for the best.
best wishes,
Sharon
Post a Comment