Hope everyone had a blessed Thanksgiving. Mine was enjoyable. We cooked and had family here for dinner. Given the holiday where food is a big theme, I really expected to see some gain this week. However, when I weighed myself yesterday morning...I was so close to my first goal of a 10 lb. loss. My actual weight was 391. Just one more pound and I'm there. T.O.M. decided to show up today so I'm not sure how well my next weigh-in will go. I seem to gain a pound or so during that time.
I'm pleased with how I've done, but after watching Montel Williams on Friday, I began to doubt that I could really get to my ultimate goal on my own. The topic was on morbid obesity and he had a couple doctors there (father and son team) from the TV Show Big Medicine. I've seen the show and the results that some people have had are amazing. I just don't know that I want to have the surgery without giving a really good try on my own. I've done weight watchers and lots of other diets before, but I can't say as though I really gave it the good try then because I gave up before 6 months or so. I didn't have the drive then. I was younger and didn't think about a whole lot. But now... my mentality on lots of things has changed. My mom's passing as well as other family members has touched me in so many ways. I'm 36 and have two wonderful daughters. I really want to be around for a long time. I want to see my grandchildren grow should I be blessed with them. My husband did have gastric bypass surgery and he went from 430 lbs. to about 220. He looked great. However, after it got to the point where he could eat regular food again... he began to struggle and has now actually gained some of the weight back. It was like the surgery helped him lose the weight, but it didn't help him change his attitude toward the food... his actual mind set, etc. I'm not saying the surgery is bad because it's certainly a god send for those patients that are bedridden. I actually wish I would've have known about these two doctors back when my mom was alive. Maybe they actually would've taken the risk to do the surgery on her. Who knows.
As for me... I'm giving the good old lifestyle change a good effort. I'll be reporting back here and sharing any other good tidbits I find along the way.
Let's go losers!! Keep on keepin' on.
1 comment:
I was lurking at Tales from the Scales and happened across your blog. Immediately, I identified with you because I used to weigh 385 pounds......I too was shocked when I stepped on the scale at the doctors office - my home scale didn't go up that high and I wouldn't have dared to step on it anyway. I am now hovering around 145 or so....wearing a size 6 - I went from a 5X to a size 6 without surgery.
I won't kid you - it was a long hard struggle and frankly, it still is. There are days when I feel trapped between fat and thin - 2 worlds - I obsess about things and struggle with poor body image but in the end, I'm going to live a lot logner than I would have! I just want to encourage you........you can do this - it may seem like an insane task and a lot of work (it is) but the good thing is that with every step in the right direction, you are one step closer. The saying goes "The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." ~ Lao-tzu
I am a blogger too so if you ever have time stop by and see me! I'm at http://wherethehellisbarbie.blogspot.com
If you ever need encouragement just let me know.......we all need each other in this journey! Just keep putting one foot in front of the other - you're doing great!
Post a Comment