Here it is a few days later and I'm still battling the emotions. Trying to fully understand why I do the things I do. Why I lose interest in exercising when not so long ago I was loving it and couldn't go a day without. Why I'm choosing to eat that chocolate or a bit of popcorn knowing that it's not the best choice. These are things that I know can be harmful because they'll trigger further cravings. Then, I'll end up over indulging in such food choices. Emotional things happen. Nothing will change that. So, what I need to do is find healthier ways of dealing with those times. Pardon me, while I address myself here - but you are more than welcome to read and also take note.
Right now, with my dad being so ill and facing death, and my husband just losing his job are causing some emotional stress. But did that candybar you ate last night help anything at all? Seriously? Think about that. Sure, it tasted good. But is your dad doing any better, did hubby suddenly find a job, did your emotions about either of those things actually change? The answer..."NO". For one brief little moment perhaps, you felt good as the chocolately smoothness melted in your mouth. But that feeling swiftly went away. And, not long after you felt like crap. Hmmm...is there a lesson to be learned here.
How about instead we find something better to do in these times of emotional stress. It doesn't have to involve exercise or activity, but it's a good idea. Instead of popping that candybar, how about doing some crunches or lifting some weights. If it's still daylight, take a walk. Do something you can do, not something that will discourage. A walk is an excellent choice since you love nature so much. Not only will the fresh air make you feel better, but you'll have time to think and reflect, talk with God (because that's something I do), even talk with relatives that are no longer here (just like you talk with God). The activity of the walk will also do your body and mind good. You'll feel so much better. And, don't forget that pedometer because seeing that number add up makes one feel good too! Something else you can do is go look through some photo albums and reminisce of past family times together. I'm sure there are great photos of times when dad was healthier and active. Recall those times and enjoy the memories you've built. Ok, so perhaps there aren't too many fond memories of dad because your relationship wasn't the greatest. So instead, how about thinking about the relationship you have with your own kids. How do you want that to be in 10-20 years? What do you want to be in that time? My guess is you want to be healthy and active and give yourself a shot at living a nice long life - right? Well...are poor eating choices and lack of exercise going to do that for you (or even give you that chance)? Probably not. Sooo...what should you do? Well I say, pick yourself up, dust yourself off and remember and focus on what it is you want and what will help you get there. Sure, it isn't up to us when our time is up on this earth. However, wouldn't you rather spend the time you have living the most fabulous life and enjoying it rather than struggling with weight. Follow the active and healthy lifestyle you know and the success of weight loss will follow. Food choices, exercise and mental are all a part of the process. If you're not happy, you're not going to do really well. Get it together and let's go!
Who's in this? YOU are!! (me too)
P.S. I expect to see some positive updates going forward. :)
Peace - Love - Smiles
Dottie
No comments:
Post a Comment