Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Things to Think About

Hi there. Did you think I fell off the face of the earth?

Well, the good news is – not completely. The bad news is…I’ve gained weight back and have been dealing with some mild depression again. I’m back to feeling like my job stinks, which makes going difficult. I also have been having knee pain which is limiting me in activity and I believe is part of the reason for gaining weight back. I’m back up to 362. I’m really quite frustrated. I did get an MRI and had a visit with a orthopedic specialist; however, bottom line is there is nothing that can be done right now. I’m too heavy!! Can I just cry now? On top of that, my father in law passed away last Tuesday.

How did I deal with all this? Well, I went to an orientation to learn more about the various weight loss surgeries that are available. I have never been one to really opt for surgery, but I think I’m to a point where I feel like it’s the best route. It’s my hope that by getting some weight off rather quickly will help the knee and allow me to be more active. My husband had the Roux En Y Gastric Bypass surgery in 2002 and he did very well. So I went to the same place for orientation. My insurance will cover it. There will be some out of pocket costs, but hopefully not too terribly much. I’m quite nervous of course and I keep praying for guidance in this decision. I tell myself that yes there is a risk, but isn’t there a risk with living at my present weight as well? I’m not sure which surgery will be right for me. I know one that I won’t do is the lap band. But the others that are available aside from the Gastric Bypass are the sleeve and the Duodenal Switch. I still need to do some researching. One site I will visit is Obesity Help

The journey is just beginning again…I pray that this is the right road. Right now…I feel like it is.

2 comments:

Betsey C. said...

I'm so glad to "see" you! Losing weight and then gaining it back is so very depressing. I have been there and done that, numerous times. I'm so sorry that you are going through it now.

Best wishes as you decide which route to take. Many people have had great results with weight loss surgery. Please keep us posted!

Rhonda said...

Hey Dottie, remember me?? I too fell off and gained some weight back. I am determined to pick myself back up and get back on the right track.

I'm curious why you say No to the lap band. I know 1 person who has had great success with it.

Good luck and keep blogging. Everyone will still want to follow your journey.

Take care!