Thursday, March 19, 2009

Week 7 Update

I weighed in on Tuesday and was down another 8.2 lbs. for the week. We had some warmer weather this past weekend and I spent a lot of time on Sunday raking leaves. I was so impressed with how well I did. I probably raked for 4 hours on and off. Last year at this time, I couldn't even rake a straight half hour or hour probably without having to sit down due to pain in the knees/feet. I could feel that I might have a loss this week, but I was absolutely bouncing off the walls when the scale showed me those numbers 360.2!! My total since the end of January is 34 lbs. If I go by what I weighed at my last physical in November, then I've lost a total of 40 lbs. I'm SOOO proud of myself. I never thought I had it in me to be so dedicated.

Something that I'm finding that I truly believe...there are three keys to being successful. 1) diet 2) exercise and 3) behavioral (mentally ready). I truly believe that if you aren't ready to deal with the demons causing the wounds resulting in depression, then there's the chance that it'll be difficult to stick with the diet and exercise part of it. At least, that's how it's been for me. Losing the weight I have so far, has made me sit and think... "why haven't I been able to do this before?" It seems so easy. Well... I was never quite strong enough to talk about or deal with the way my dad talked to me when I was a kid. I've always feared my dad, but at the same time, I took everything he said to me to heart (so to speak). He would call me porky. Every time I did something, he'd tell me to "stop acting like your mother and grow up." He'd tease me about being chunky. I didn't like it then of course, but as a young kid...what do you do? (my parents were divorced by the way). The verbal/emotional abuse I took as a kid caused me to have serious issues with self esteem. Over the years, it just escalated. I came to believe that I was not worth much. One of the exercises I had to do in one of the behavioral group sessions was to list 10 Things I Like About Me. I had to think about that. Here's what I put:

1. I'm kind and caring
2. Can be funny
3. I'm smart
4. I'm hard-working (at my job)
5. I'm pretty good at photography
6. I'm a pretty good mom.

That was it. I started to look at things differently and deal with the wounds caused by my dad. I had to find it in myself to forgive. I've left group crying a few times.

Another thing I've done is found things to do when I started to feel sad or down about something. That's where the photography came in. It's amazing the self satisfaction that can come with a beautiful picture of nature that you took.

I feel like I'm finally understanding the full me and that I'm worth every ounce of energy and work that I put into being fit.

I will succeed and hopefully be able to share that success with others. I'd love to think I could help someone else out along the way. I don't like the idea of anyone having to feel the pain of not only being overweight, but the emotional burdens that often accompany it. It really hurts.

Please know you are worth your efforts. You can do this! And so can I!

♥ Dottie

7 comments:

Dutch said...

Way to go on the weight loss. You are doing great. I am almost in my 260's. Only 2 more lbs. to go. I do believe your right about the 3 keys to successful weight loss. I think the hardest one for me is mentally. I feel that sometimes my head rules my heart in terms of what I should eat. I am slowly overcoming this, I hope. LOL That's wonderful that you decided to do photography. As soon as I read that I just asked my daughter for her digital camera. I think I will take a walk outside today and take some beautiful pictures. Have a wonderful weekend.

Felicia said...

I AM SO PROUD OF YOU!! You are so rockin this program!!! Keep up the AMAZING work! CHEER CHEER CHEERING you on!!

*huggles*
=0)

Jen said...

What a nice post - the emotional/mental part of weight loss is just as important as the eating/exercise and yet so many people skip over it all together - you, however, seem to get it!!! YOU GO GIRL!
And what an awesome loss this week - FANTASTIC!

st said...

Hi!
Thanks for commenting on my blog and I'm so glad to have the chance to see yours. Your progress is amazing and I love that you have 2 kids and 5 dogs! I have 2 kids, 2 dogs ( a pom and a basset) and 2 guinea pigs. would love a cat. Mind if I link up? Keep up the awesome work!
Meg

Cammy@TippyToeDiet said...

What a great week, and what a great person you are! (I kind of suspected it already.*g*) I'm glad you see the wonderfulness that is YOU.

Lovebug6100 said...

I am so impressed!! You are a wonderful role model!! I wish you nothing but continued sucess!!

VINTAGE WOMAN said...

Hi Dottie~
It is hard to forgive, but we have to for us. The best thing I can do to make up for my parents' mistakes is to be the best mom I can be. I am sure you are doing this too!
It is hard to break the eating cycle--I am fighting it every day. Sometimes I give in, but I know that food is my substitute for love, happiness, and a product of pain inflicted in childhood.
You can do it! I have faith in you!!!
Keli