Monday, January 12, 2009

It's A New Year and I'm Still Here

Over the holidays, I was dealing with some depression and it was really bringing me down. I could not focus on weightloss. However, it was pretty easy to focus on the fact that I'm overweight. It didn't help the depression any. It didn't really cause me to eat any MORE food; however, I wasn't really careful with the choices either. I haven't gained weight so I guess that's a good thing because I don't need that.

On New Years day I began to really think about my life and what I wanted. I already have a wonderful husband and beautiful kids, a roof over my head and a job. Not my dream job mind you, but a job. What I want is to be fit and healthy. I want to LIVE. I realized that to do that, I must lose weight. And I realized that going on my own...just isn't working. So...I checked in to a medical weight loss program through MMPC Center for Weight Management here in Michigan. It will be 17 weeks of a very low calorie diet (800-900 calories). It sounds like it won't be enough to keep me satisfied; however the meals are all very high in protein and that is what will help me feel full. At least that is what they are telling me. I'm not ready to do any type of surgery so this is the next best option for me. I'll get to meet with nutritionists, exercise physiologists and even mental health specialists in case I start slipping mentally. I'm pretty excited, which makes me feel like I'll finally be successful.

Oh...and I also signed up for a photography class. It starts next week and I'm pretty excited about that as well. I love taking pictures and I'm hoping to improve.

I hope you all had a wonderful holiday season and are looking at 2009 with a renewed spirit as I am.

♥ Dottie

4 comments:

Find my way back said...

Well done for getting the help you needed and I am sure 2009 is going to be a great year for you.

Jen said...

good luck on your journey. It must be reassuring to have so many medical professionals to lead and guide you.
Its going to be a GREAT year!!!

Anonymous said...

Dottie,

One option you might try looking at is MyBodyTutor.com. I'm using his program which is really easy to do and Adam really keeps me motivated.

Basically, the program works like this:

You have an initial phone conversation and you go over your current weight/physical status and he comes up with a meal plan and exercise plan tailored just for you.

The meals are based on lean proteins, veggies, fruits, whole wheat/grain foods, and avoiding any processed foods. Basically sugar is the enemy.

I started out walking 30 mins 5 days a week. Then I've bumped it up to 45mins - 1 hour + I lift weights now at the gym 3 times a week. 2 months ago, that would have seemed like too much for me.

One of the best things about MyBodyTutor is that every night, you log what food and exercise you do into the website and your tutor gives you feedback every morning. Plus you will get an inspirational article as well.

Lastly, depending on the program you choose, you will get a personal call from your tutor every week to discuss the week you just had and the week ahead + any problems/questions you might have. They don't do any of this by degrading you. It's pretty cool and I love it. Basically my tutor helps me help myself.

I'm not a shill for them or antyhing, just excited about how well it has worked for me. And with 5 dogs, you have plenty of walking partners. My puppy is my favorite piece of exercise equipment.

Carol said...

Dottie, I have just come across your blog/love it. I relate to you totally. Please just start enjoying your life as it is, enjoy the little things, the fact that you have a job/beautiful children etc. Enjoy what you have and THEN start working on what you want to change. I hope you dont mind that I will follow you every step of the way from now onwards (and hope to learn from you) take care. Carol