Thursday, March 6, 2008

Interesting Article

I was thinking about some of the things I wanted to do back in highschool. One of those was actually become a body builder. I was fascinated by some of those guys and women. I always thought... look at all that muscle! They have muscle in places I didn't know had muscles. The work they must do! I still think that actually. I've been nosing around on some body building sites and I ran across a rather interesting article. Check it out. At least I thought it was interesting.

I also learned that one of my coworkers is a body builder. His photo is on bodybuilding.com. He was one of the transformation of the week stories. Talk about ripped! He would eat 6 small meals a day (which I hear is a very smart plan). An example meal plan for a high protein day was:

Meal 1:

1 scoop ON Vanilla Protein powder with water
1 cup egg beaters
1 whole egg
1/2 grapefruit

Meal 2:

Water
1 large chicken breast
1 1/2 cups of green beans

Meal 3:

1 large chicken breast
Lettuce
Salad Spritzers Spray Salad dressing (10 sprays)

Meal 4:

2 scoops ON Vanilla Protein powder with water
2 hard boiled eggs
1 apple

Meal 5:

1 Salmon steak
1 cup of broccoli
1/4 cup of white rice

Meal 6:

1 cup of skim milk mixed with
2 scoops of ON Vanilla Protein powder and water


In looking at it, I'm like I MIGHT be able to do something like that. Although, I have no idea how that protein powder stuff tastes. I don't know. I am studying this and thinking of different things to jazz it up to suit me...maybe adding more vegetables. He went from 230 lbs. to 186 lbs. And a body fat percent of 18% to 4.5%. I think it's totally amazing. Because this guy works in my office building, I do see him everyday (without fail) coming back to work from the gym and preparing his protein shake. It's amazing the discipline he has. I know he's also preparing for a bodybuilding contest this spring. In a way, this is all inspiring to me. I think I may be doing some more reading and learning about body builders and what they do. They are constantly working to lose their fat and gain muscle. Losing fat is what I want to do. I'm sure I can learn something from them.

Ok, I think I'll be off to work on that list of (who knows how many) reasons I want to lose weight.

Keep up the great work everyone. WE CAN WIN THIS BATTLE!!

4 comments:

Chubby Chick said...

That's cool about the guy in your office building! I really need to work on some strength training, too.

Good luck with your list! I can't wait to read it! :)

Yogi Wannabe said...

I have been trying to eat 4-5 small meals per day and it is working out really well for me. I never get too hungry and I have a lot more energy.

Give it a go!

TitanThirteen said...

I used to eat small meals 5 times a day. Then i switched to the hungry/full thing. I figured, if we aren't truly hungry when we start eating? How can we truly know we are full?
We are born with those bodily responses. A baby will cry when he is really hungry, and stop eating when he is satisfied. Then we learned to eat differently, at certain times, with certain emotions etc, and we all got fat lol
I don't know. I just know that when i changed my eating from eating when it was "time to eat" to when i was truly hungry, and stopped eating when i was truly satisfied, i started losing weight and gained more energy.

Anonymous said...

We use the EAS Premium Protein 3 - stage extended release protein blend in our household. Hubby is a major protein powder drinker!
I am trying to incorporate at least one in my day because it helps me stay satisfied.
It has 27 grams of high quality protein.
I like the Vanilla - hubby likes the Vanilla and the chocolate one.
I am just more of a vanilla girl that likes it plain or add my fruits to it and make my smoothies!
Two scoops = 140 calories and they are not little scoops either!
We mix ours with 2% milk but you can do water as well.
I like it with milk because it's more dairy and calcium is showing to help weight loss!
I say try some of the protein drinks and see if you like them before you buy in bulk.
We buy it though in bulk at Sams and Costco- there you get a bag or container for about $30 where in the stores that carry vitamins and body building stuff sell it for $70 plus! No thanks! I'll take the bargain price tee hee.
By the way, funny cartoon! ha ha.
I wish it were that easy!
Glad you are on this journey with the Healthy You gang! I know you are going to do just fabulous!
Monica