Wow - I can't believe the last time I posted anything was November. Oh well. I can't tell you when the next time I post anything will be. I get busy with work and when I come home, I'm not so eager to get on the computer. The last few days have been really nice around here.
I had surgery on December 15, 2009. The surgery I chose was the Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy (VSG). Basically, a good portion of my stomach (80%+/-) was removed and now I'm left with a banana (or sleeve) shaped stomach. I'm glad I chose this particular surgery because it didn't involve any cutting or re-routing of the intestines like the other surgical options. I didn't have to worry about dumping syndrome or terrible malabsorption either. So, for me, it was a good choice. I really didn't want to do surgery at all quite honestly, but I finally had a heart to heart with myself and admitted that I needed the help. The surgery is my tool that helps me. The day of surgery, I weighed 376. Right now, according to my scale I weigh 304. I'm down 72 lbs since December and I'm not complaining.
I will be honest, for the month or so following surgery, I dealt with some pretty tough emotional ups and downs - actually mostly downs. A co-worker of mine passed away that same week from a heart attack. He was a year younger than me. I took that pretty hard and I believe it may be a contributing factor to the emotional rollercoaster that ensued. I started fearing that I would die and fearing death, etc. It was tough. Thankfully, I got through. Now I'm doing so much better. I'm thankful for each day and hope that this surgery will allow me a chance at a longer life.
One of the pitfalls of surgery that I'm dealing with is hairloss. My hair was thinning to begin with, but it seems to have gotten a little worse. I'm told this is common and that it's important that I keep getting my protein in. I'm doing my best.
Oh and my knee pain (the trigger for my surgery decision) has subsided. I hope it doesn't return either. I'm sure the weight loss is a big relief on the knees.
I could probably go on and on, but I'll stop here for now. I'm not sure if anyone sees this or not anymore.
If so - thanks for looking out for me.
Have a wonderful day!
♥ Dottie
1 comment:
Thanks for posting an update...I was afraid you'd fallen off the face of the earth. It looks like you're doing great too!!! Great work and keep on keeping us posted!!
Post a Comment