Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Jenny Craig

I was just wondering if there's anyone reading my blog that has done or knows someone or has any thoughts on the Jenny Craig program. I just saw a commercial with Queen Latifah - seems she's now a spokesperson and member. I like her. Anyway, if you have any opinions of it...shout them out.

Thanks.

♥ Dottie ♥

11 comments:

Felicia said...

I did Jenny Craig back in '92 ( of course its probably changed a lot since then lol) but I liked it. Was expensive though. Did help with all the figuring and that kind of stuff. Was nice to have a place to check in with also.

Good luck!

*huggles*
=0)

Anonymous said...

I did JC before in the later nineties and I remember it working but being exremely expensive. I have also done Seattle Suttons (since we are in the same state, I am sure you can look them up) which is just as expensive, but that worked wonders for me, the food is delicious and fresh and I lost a lot of weight, I of course, gave it up, and gained it all back and then some. In my opinion, they are all the same, they count all the calories for you, but in my opinion, I need to learn to eat on my own. Of course they are wonderful to get you started.

Anonymous said...

PS thanks for adding me to your favorites, you are one of mine as well........... :)

Anonymous said...

Research it very carefully, the good and the bad. 3 Fat chicks has a great forum where you can see people doing JC now and ask questions.

But also look at folks who review teh food and aren't on the program anymore for the other side.

My take: It's prepackaged. That means a lot of "fake food"--additives, preservatives, chemicals, and lots of sodium.

The plus--it's a no brainer. They do the calorie-counting and cooking, so it's convenient.


The cons: it's limited. You may get bored or hate the food. It's not teaching you to plan and cook healthful meals. The chemicals.


I'd warn strongly against Nutrisystem (tried that horrible horrible horrible food). I never tried JC, cause NS turned me off pre-packaged fake food.

Consider the cost, too. Can you afford to stay on it long-term? And losing 200 pounds may mean 2 + years.

But do visit various sites and blogs, pro and con, and if you wanna try it, try it. Just go in informed. :)

Me, I'd say eat real food, plan healthful meals, learn nutrition and what works for your body. And eat tons of veggies and, unless you're doing soemthing lowish carb or are diabetic, tons of fruit.

The Princess Dieter

CajunMom said...

Hey Dottie,
I don't know anything personally about JC, so I'm no help there! I have heard it is expensive. My doc has recommended the HMR (Health Management Resources) plan, but I've procrastinated in calling about it, but it sounds very similar..pre-packaged foods, expensive, etc. It's medically supervised, but I just can't get myself to make the jump into it yet. Tonight I signed up at the SlimFast site and there are personalized menu plans, etc., and strange as this sounds, I actually started thinking maybe I could do that "plan". I never even looked into SlimFast as I always thought you drank 2 cans of stuff and had one meal a day and that was it! For some reason, it seems do-able (is that a word? LOL) I've never even tasted SlimFast in my life LOL..but..I just might try this thing. Anyway...I want to thank you for commenting on my blog and your compliment on the card! Good Luck! Vicki

Fairy Princess said...

I am doing JC right now. You can check out my blog to see how it's all going but a couple of quick truths.

It is expensive.
The food is not terrible. (It's not home cooked, or restaurant yummy but with some doctoring it works--some is actually really tasty.)
It is a "no thought needed" way to lose weight.
I have lost a good deal of weight pretty quickly on it.

Those are the things that stick out in my head. Check out my blog to see more on JC if you like.

Danni said...

Hey dottie,
I haven't done JC, but it seems effective! Thanks for your comment on my page :-) Gay guys make GREAT friends, I agree. Good luck this week :-)

Carol said...

I'm an advocate of learning how to eat in the real world (Weight Watchers). I mean, you can't stay on these prepackaged plans forever because at some point you need to learn how to maintain your weight loss. The thing is, if you're "thinking right", you'll make the right choices, no matter what diet plan you use. That's why I'm a huge fan of the "Beck Diet Solution", which isn't a diet at all. It address how you're thinking. I guess the bottom line is ya gotta go with what works for you.

Robert said...

Hi Dottie,

I see I never replied to your comment on my blog about my weight loss. Thank you so much. I hope my story was encouraging. What worked for me was complete discipline. I saw all food as calories. I took in what I needed, and tried to make it enjoyable. If you really want to succeed, you will have to increase your discipline. Things like soda, pizza, ice cream are all dense calories that I highly suggest you do without. They offer little nutrition and high calories. I have not seen if you are incorporating exercise or not. If you are not, start walking. Today. This is a winnable battle. For me, the losing was easy because I was focused. Maintaining is hard. I have put a few back on but if it were not for my continued workouts, it would have been worse. I'll be riding in my first century this weekend. I find it important to keep goals set so I don't go back. Stay focused! You can do this!

Anonymous said...

I'm in favor of eating whole real food: fruits, vegetables, whole grain cereals, fresh bread. Maybe one day, I'll make my own. I'm a lifetime member of WW. I did another program when I was a teen, a small local one, I hated that their goal was too low for me (I'm muscular with big bones.) I also hated prepackaged food, yuk!

TitanThirteen said...

Like Felicia, i joined JC in '92 as well. But i found it way too expensive! Especially considering you have to buy whatever extra food they tell you to buy at the supermarket AS WELL! Like fruit/veges and LOTS of them. It's like two grocery shops for one person. Queen Latifa and Kirsty Alley can afford JC, but i really don't think a regular person with household bills can stick it out.
You can buy Weight Watchers and Slimmers magazines and get meals out of there.
You know everything there is to know about food. Do it yourself, eat better and yummier. Experiment with healthy food and develop a relationship with it. Cook things together that you like and see how they go together.
One of my fav meals that came from experimenting is fried zucchinni and capsicum [with that olive oil cooking spray] and fried sausages [pre-boiled to get the fat out] with fresh advocado. Oh my goodness, that is all so lovely together!
I don't like fruit salad a while lot, but i like grapes and strawberries together.
Experiment, and healthy, fresh food will become your friend :o)