So last night my daughter says "I want to go to the Y" (YMCA- health club we belong to). I said okay. So she and I went and she wanted me to the stair stepper with her because she had just learned how to use that type of machine in her aerobics class at school. No...I couldn't do that one. My knees aren't up for that and I know it. So instead, I spent about 15 minutes on a recumbent style exercise bike watching Celebrity Fit Club on VH1 on TV (appropriate huh?). I did okay. I was sweating. After that I spent maybe 10 minutes walking on a treadmill. I did my best. You have to realize that this is an awful large body with bad knees so things are difficult. But I did it! And for that I'm pretty proud of myself. My daughter did the stair stepping, the cycle and running on a treadmill (she's in the shape I want to be in). We spent about an hour at the gym and were both sweating and ready to go. When we got home...my knees were screaming! I really don't know what they were saying, but boy were they painful. I took some Motrin 800, chilled out on the couch and watched Ghost Hunters (have I ever mentioned I love that show?). I'm feeling a little better today, but they still hurt. Don't worry...I plan to keep it up, but it will be a slow go for me. Next time I go I'll probably spend time in the pool. Did I ever mention it sucks being fat! I can't wait until I'm thin.
Have a great day everyone!
♥ Dottie
5 comments:
If your knees really bothered you, maybe you did "too much too soon" or need to get better shoes. Either one of these can make being physical more difficult. Maybe you should just try walking for a specific amount of time, then adding 2 minutes the next time, and build from there. Getting injuried or too sore will set you back so you want to be cautious and build up slowly so your body can handle it. If the impact is bothering you too much, consider the illiptical. It will give you a good work out without the impact. Good luck!
"Go D" is right! That's an excellent workout!
You might try some ice on your knees after you get home. That got me through the first couple of months of workouts, and I still resort to it now and then. Also, be sure you're not pushing too hard, too fast. You're movin' and groovin' and that's the most important thing. Time and intensity will pick up later!
Rest those knees!
Don't be afraid to slow down -- you'll still be moving in the right direction! :)
I just got this same advice from a few people over at my blog -- slow down and give my body a chance to adapt and catch up to me so that I don't injure myself and also so that I enjoy myself a lot more while exercising. Nobody enjoys pain -- and that's not what exercise is all about, anyway. :)
Keep up the awesome work, Dottie!
Darn right Go D!! Great job on making it to the Y!
Go Go Go! Well done! A journey of a thousand miles start with a first step. Do take care of your knees too and not overdo.
Post a Comment